History of Palos Verdes Estates
Published | Written by Susannah Hogentogler
Palos Verdes is a coastal area located in the South Bay region of Los Angeles County, California. The land was originally inhabited by the Tongva people before Spanish explorers arrived in the 16th century.
In the late 19th century, the area was acquired by the Bixby family, who owned large portions of land in Southern California. In the early 20th century, they began developing the area as a residential community, with the goal of creating a luxurious seaside retreat.
In 1923, the Palos Verdes Project was launched, with the Bixbys partnering with other investors to develop the area. The project included the construction of roads, water and sewage systems, and other infrastructure, as well as the creation of parks and public spaces.
The area's natural beauty and desirable location attracted many wealthy residents, including Hollywood celebrities and business executives. The community also became known for its excellent schools, which were built and operated by the Palos Verdes School District.
During World War II, the Palos Verdes Peninsula was a strategic location for the defense industry, with several aerospace companies setting up operations in the area. After the war, the community continued to grow and attract new residents, with a surge in residential development in the 1950s and 60s.
Today, Palos Verdes is a thriving community with a population of over 42,000 people. The area is known for its scenic beauty, with miles of coastline, parks, and nature preserves. It is also home to several prestigious golf courses, including Trump National Golf Club and the Palos Verdes Golf Club. The community is served by the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District, which includes several highly-rated schools.